News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: Bone loss in mouth

missyh12 - Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:12 am

I have had two dentist tell me that I have 97% bone loss in my mouth,and both say that at my age(33)it is impossible for it to be periodontal disease alone,and that there is some other medical problem that is causing it.All the other doctors that I have been to (including a orthopeadic surgeon)say that if I have no bone loss in any other part of my body its nothing to be concerned about.I've had a bone scan of pelvic area,and my spine(all normal)I happen to agree with the dentist,in that this is not normal,and there is something not dental related causing it.Is there anyone out there that may have a clue as to what this may be?Is there some rare bone infection,disorder,or disease that doctors may not automatically think of?Thanks for your time!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:09 pm

User avatar Hell again,
Like your doctors said most of the time osteoporosis happens in other parts of the body as part of a generalized (systemic) disease process. This has been excluded by the scans you've done. Local bone loss may be due to infection, bone cancer. Both conditions are usually accompanied by pain which is lacking. It really depends on the picture of bone loss. What does the panoramic x-ray show? Is there bone loss all over the mandible? Is it confined to one part only? Some autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis have an increased incidence of osteoporosis.
 lawrencemd23 - Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:44 pm

I don't know if this is the same or not but found advance periodontal disease with a lot of bone loss. My doctor found that I have diabetes. I'm told that out of control diabetes makes gum diease much worse and vise virsa. My doctor only came up with this after a full set labs. Some other people have told me that things like Gluten Intolerance could play a role but my doctor say he would expect that to cause problems in other areas as well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here