Question: Rib Pain

hippieluv2001 - Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:16 pm

My rib has been hurting for years now. Recently it has started to hurt more and more. Now I can't even lay on my belly in bed! When u feel my rib cage, the left side is like sunken in and the right is normal. I think that maybe my ribs were broken years ago and fused back together wrong. Is that possible? Or what could this be? Thanks for your help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:43 pm

It is very difficult to tell what could be the cause for your complaint without direct clinical examination.

An X- ray chest would give also better idea about the bone density and the presence of any anatomical problems.

Inflammatory causes in the costochondral joint (costochondrtis) or in the ribs may be the causes.

Muscle spasm and pain may be another cause for your pain. It may be due to wrong posture or inflammation of the muscle caused by muscle injury.

If there is a previous history of trauma to the chest, then abnormal bone healing may cause anatomical changes which may result in muscle spasm and pain.

You should seek direct medical consultation for proper management.

hippieluv2001 - Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Ok, so I went for a chest X-Ray. It came back normal. I looked at it and could not see the part that protrudes from my left side. What could this be? It is painful and annoying. If it isn't my rib sticking out, what could be the hard mass under my skin above my rib? This is concerning since it seems to get more painful everyday. I will see my family doc in a week or so, but I would like to know if any of you have an opinion on what it could be.

If you look at my ribs from the front, the right side looks like a normal ribcage, but the left, about an inch from the sternum, is a large lump that feels like bone. It sticks out quite a bit.

Any ideas?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:57 pm

It is quite difficult to tell without direct clinical examination.
The possibility of this swelling to be of soft tissue origin like muscles, subcutaneous tissue is still there.

Your Doctor may advise CT Scan according to the results of the examination.

Best regards

|