News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Osteochondritis talus

 ryann - Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:22 pm

35 y/o female. Had a x-ray on thursday which showed an abnormality. Doctor believes it to be osteochondritis of my left talar bone. I am having a MRI on tues. to determine the grade of the fracture.

The doc. said that at best I should be immobilized and at worst may have to have surgery to reestablish blood supply. He did not immobilize me after my appointment. I didn't even think of this until after I left. Should he have? Once formally diagnosed, is this a non-weight bearing injury? What about after surgery if required? I am a therapist so I am on my feet while at work, and responsible for my patients safety while I have them up.

Thanks for your input..........

 ryann - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:31 pm

The doctor called today and said there is a lesion on the talus as revealed on the MRI. What does this mean exactly? Does a lesion represent a chip, necrosis of the bone or what???

Since posting, I have discovered that Osteochonral defect is the new term. There are different grades????

My doc. has referred me to a foot specialist and will see him on 3/5.

Thank you for your help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 pm

User avatar At some point in their training, every medical student asks the same question you have... What is a lesion?

A lesion is an extremely broad term that just means something abnormal. Unfortunately, from the description of your MRI showing a lesion, I cannot say if it represents a fracture, an increase in bone or possibly a decrease in bone in that area. The possibilities are numerous.

Osteochondral defect is a similar term that is a little more specific. It simply means that there is a defect in the bone/cartilage area of your talus.

I agree with the recommendation to see a foot specialist. Your doctor should be able to give you more information regarding the MRI.

Sorry I can't be of more help.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.