Question: Broken: Vertibre, Ribs but shoulder still a problem

dangsnowmobile - Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi, 37 yr old male with a "slight" snowmobile accident. 6 Weeks ago I crashed and broke 2 vertibre and 3 ribs. They are better but as I started healing I noticed that my shoulder was not moving above level. (of course the hospital was more worried about keeping me alive than anything else) So when I went to the neurologist for a follow up I asked him. He just said well, it must be a problem between your ribs and your shoulder. I COULD'VE TOLD HIM THAT! I also have a "large lump" on the same bicept and my shoulderblade seems to stick out about an extra inch. I am still in pain with it but it has gotten better. So, could there be some corolation between the broken ribs and my shoulder problem? Thanks much!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:04 pm

User avatar Any trauma that is strong enough to fracture ribs and vertebrae is certainly able to cause damage to the shoulder as well. Essentially, it could be a problem with the bones of the shoulder, the muscles of the shoulder, the nerves, or the attachments (ligaments and tendons). There really isn't much else involved.

A thorough physical exam and some x-rays should guide your diagnosis nicely. If these are not revealing you may need an MRI of your shoulder to look for any other problems or impingements.

You may consider requesting a referral to an orthopedic or sports medicine specialist as they are the musculoskeletal experts.

Hope this helps.

|