Question: pseudoarthrosis

carolw - Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm 49 year old female with osteoporosis. I had an accident 4 years ago and broke a rib in my back. In the area of my bra line. One of my ribs healed properly. I just had an xray done thursday and it showed a second rib right above it that was also broken and never healed. I have been on pain killer every since the accident. Could this be what is causing the pain? If so is there anything that can be done about it. I also have lupus and COPD.
meds are
fosamax
plaquenil
spiriva
lortab
xanax
advair
triamazene
effexor
I use oxygen at night

Thank you in advance
carol
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:43 am

User avatar By 4 years it would be unlikely to have pain from the fracture itself as the bone should be well healed. However, if the bone did not heal back normally it is possible that the area that did heal is rubbing or pressing on some nerves or muscles causing your pain.

You may consider seeing an orthopedic specialist for evaluation of this. Physical therapy may also be of benefit.

carolw - Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:19 am

Thank you Dr. Lowe, I appreciate your time and volunteering. I looked at the x-ray and the bone that didn't heal has a gap about a quarter of an inch seperating it. I will see a specialist. If there is a way to make this better without living on painkillers I'm ready for it! I'm a Prescott, Arizona girl myself! I just happen to have been out riding quads in the mountains there when I had the accident.

Again I appreciate your time!

|