Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Low Back Pain/ protruding sacrum- coccyx

McJenna1 - Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Lower back pain/ protruding tailbone!
Hello- I'm wondering if anyone would have any input on this...
This started almost a year ago, has been recurring, but has been constant and much worse the last few weeks.
It started with severe lower back pain.. now that it has been worse, I have felt my 'tailbone', which just does not feel right. It seems like (know it's not, but technically 'feels like') it is split in two! Possibly, not coccyx but sacrum? It is protruding and there are two huge bumps (heads?) to it, not one... a bruise/ discoloration line going up my 'crack' to this protrusion.. with a 'dimple' near/ between the bones.. I have also been very constipated lately, and feel this is all emanating from the distorted sacral area. The back feels better when bent forward, any arch in it whatsoever and it feels as if my back is going to break.. the pain is so bad. Lying, standing. sitting.. is all painful if not in the right position.. and the pain seems now to also radiate to ischium/ butt bones.. up the back.. down the legs.. tingling legs..
I could elaborate on additional symptoms, but this is the basis....
Any help would be appreciated ????
BTW, there has been no physical injury..
35 y/o female
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:50 pm

User avatar You mention that you have a dimple in the midline of your back. Sometimes this is a signal for underlying problems such as the spinal cord being tethered to the bottom. If this is present, over time, as a person grows the spinal cord gets stretched and can begin causing symptoms such as you are describing.

Your symptoms are not classic for this but you should see a doctor for an evaluation to see if this is possible.

|