Question: Cheek Bone Dislocated?

Mbunaman - Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi, I am having trouble with a swollen and out of place bone or muscle on my cheek bone area. I looks like the bone is moved upward and it is also bothering my right eye. It is hard to smile also on that side. I got this 5 years ago from a head injury and it still has not gone away. Is there anything I can do to relocate the bone or to make the lump disappear? I've gotten a x-ray and they said it wasn't a fracture. But could the bone have moved? Please help this has been bothering me for years now. Thank you

Dan
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:01 am

User avatar The cheek bone is fused into one piece with the skull; however, it is possible to fracture the bone or along one of the fused suture lines to allow the bone to move.

If you had the x-ray done a few months after the initial accident, any evidence of a fracture may have been healed up; however, assymmetry such as one side being higher than the other should still show up.

This makes me suspicious that you may actually have a muscular or soft tissue issue.

Your doctor can help you determine which specialist would be the best to help you, perhaps a plastic surgeon.

Mbunaman - Fri May 04, 2007 12:13 pm

Thank you for your help doctor. Its been 5 years since this accident. The tissue or muscle seems to have decreased a bit since then but it is still more portruding then normal. And it feels like the muscle has moved from my lower cheek to the high part next to my right eye. It is difficult to smile sometimes to. Can muscles move back into place? Will more time fix this problem naturally? If I massage the swollen muscle, will it go down?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 05, 2007 12:38 am

User avatar If it's been that long since the accident it is unlikely that massage or other physical therapy will help much. There may be some procedures that can help, though. Your doctor can probably give you some recommendations for how to proceed.

|