Question: Knee problem that might ruin my life! help/advice needed pls

Karsten - Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:13 pm

hey there
i am a 15 (almost 16) year old guy, and i have really bad knee problems.
since last summer, i have grown an awefull lot, and now i am 171cm tall.
i weigh 81 kg, so im heavily build ^^

as i started this year of school, i joined the basketball team and the training was very tough. especially also because i have astma. we were training for an upcomming basketball tournament which took place here in march. Nearing march, my knees would start to hurt alot during practise. so i went to the school nurse many tiems to get painkillers and to put ice on them. she said that its most likely a common diseas that most teanagers get when they grow fast and paly alot of sport. Something called the Sholowschs Hollowf Diseas.. (as u can see i cannot remember the name at all, its also very complicated) this is where there is this "bumb" that forms under my knee kalp and that pulls out alitle bone which sits in the knee... (thats what i have learnt from it)

but just to be on the safe side i went to an Orthopaedic doctor. he also suggested that it was these disease and wanted me to take some X-rays of the knees, to see how bad it was. (if its really bad u might kneed an oporation!) so i got the xrays and brought them to him. He said that it wasnt that bad and it would go away as i grow. but few weeks after my knees became very weak and sensitive (note that i stopped all my sport after the tournament.. so i was puzzled that it wouldnt stop hurting) he did some examinations again, pulled it and moved around with my legs (lol) and then asked me to get a Ultra Vision Scan of them (the type that pregnatn women get to see their baby) i did that, and he concluded that it still wasnt serious, and that i should do special "knee" exercises with the nurses at his clinic.

i havnt gone there yet because i have been so busy, and i just wanted to hear some second thoughts from you guys. my knees feel like they are in a very bad condition right now. they are so stiff, i cant run probaly; everytime i lift my knee it hurts ALOT. i cant walk straight down and up of stairs, so i must plant my feet sideways when passin stairs :( when lieing on my back, and then putting my legs in mid air and try to stretch them out so they arnt bending, it hurts on my left knee but i can still manage, but on my right i can stretch it to an angle of ca. 100-150 degrees (out of 180) and then it will hurt too much to proceed. also when i move my legs fast (trying to play football) and i do quick movements with them my knee's sometimes "backlock" as i call it. as if they have been stunned, or moved into a real bad position and thne it hurts alot.

i can take pictures of the xray and ultra vision pictures if that would be helpfull
and i really hope that some of you ahve some advice

thankyou very much in advanced
Karsten
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:48 pm

User avatar I suspect the name of the disease that you have is "Osgood-Schlatter Disease". It was first described by Dr. Osgood and Dr. Schlatter seperately in 1903.

The pain with this disease is generally located just below the knee as you describe. This is where the patellar ligament attaches to the bone below it. The quadraceps muscles essentially all focus their attachment to the patella which is then attached to the bone via the patellar ligament.

A good way to think of this disease is that the tibia (the main bone of the lower part of the leg) gets lots of microscopic fractures in it from the stress of the muscles pulling on it.

Treatment is essentially rest and avoiding painful exercises, etc. until the pain has resolved. It may take several months for the pain to resolve. During this time, strenuous activity and deep knee bends should be avoided.

Once all the pain is gone activity can be resumed very slowly.

The prognosis for this disease is almost always excellent recovery with conservative management (not needing surgery).

Karsten - Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:47 pm

hey thx very much for the reply!
i went to the place the doctor told me to do, and there i just did some simple (but hurtfull sometimes) exercises to do with them, that i can also start on at home. she says that i need to train the knees and build up strength in them.

so now i will start doing that.
but what if it dosnt get better? :/
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 am

User avatar It is very unlikely that you will not get better. If this actually happens you should follow up with your doctor.

Best wishes. I hope you feel better soon. Just be sure to not get too impatient and rush your recovery.

|