Question: Is my hand(finger) broken?

dave32 - Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 am

I stupidly punched a wall last Saturday night and my hand and fingers swelled, I didn't ice it until maybe Tuesday. It is now Thursday and the swelling has gone down a little. I can fully close all of my fingers except for my little one, which I can close using my other hand with only a little dull pain (but there is a hitch that the joint over comes before closing)

There is also a hard bump behind the knuckle of my little finger. It doesn't hurt very much to push on it and it is hard and not squishy like swelling.

the only real pain I have is if I were to stretch my little finger away from my other fingers (as if I were going to try and grip a football with my fingers spread)

Did I break my hand?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:17 am

User avatar It is possible that you have fractured one of the bones in your hand or you may have simply bruised the area severely.

If the pain does not significantly increase within 1 weeks time I would recommend you see a doctor and probably have an x-ray done to look for a fracture.

Often finger fractures don't need too much to help them heal but occasionally there can be issues with future joint mobility, etc. so it can be important to recognize the fracture.

|