Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: C5-C6 Spinal Stenosis

MadDogCanada - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:28 pm

Hello All From Brantford Canada. I am supposed to have a operation soon as i was diagnosed with the following.. C5-C6 This is the severley affected Level. There is an annuar disk buldge with a focal left paracentral protrusion that herniated both superiorly and inferorly almost to the level of the adjacent disk spaces. There is Severe acquired centra canal Stenosis and abnormal hihg T2 signal within the spinal cord extending from the level of the superior endplate of C5 to the Level of the midportion of the vertebral body of C6. There is Bilateral moderate to severe exiting neural foraminal stenosis as well at this level secondary to a combination of disc and uncovertebral degenaritive change. <-- This is from the Doctors MRI note. The Opinion is as follows. The Most Severe Level is C5/6 where there is a diffuse annular buldge with a left paracentral protrusion, as described above, that reults in severe acquired central canal stenosis with abnormal high T2 Cord signal indicative of myelopathic change at this level. There is bilateral moderate to severe neural foraminal stenosis at this level as well. "The Myelopathic change merits urgent referal"

Now my Symptoms are as follows..
1 - Numbness in my left and right hands
2 - Numbness in my lower body from the Mid-Section to under my Toes.
3 - I have to hold on the things in order to move around - example to go to the bathroom I have to pull and drag my feet up the stairs.
4 - Loss of sudden Bowel Trouble ie: Not knowing i have to go as per the NO feeling or ability to push to relieve myself as there is No pressure i can get to that area.
5- Un-balanced, walking like i have drank 100 Beers or the likes.

Now for the weird part - "I have NO NECK pain at ALL??. Why?? I am also a Type 2 Diabetic... Anyone have or had simular situation please reply ASAP as my surgery is for Tommorow at 10:30am at Hamilton Health Sciences here in Canada.

Thanks and for all of you i wish you all a brisk and speedy recovery...

God Bless You All.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 21, 2007 2:39 pm

User avatar I apologize for not being able to respond before your surgery was scheduled. I do think the surgery is likely to be needed.

The nerves from the spinal cord run downward once they leave the neck. The nerves at C5-C6 don't really supply feeling to the neck, explaining why you are not having much neck pain.

|