Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Digenerative Disc Disease

kidneyconcerned - Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:00 pm

[b]I am a 20 year old female and have had lower back pain for 9 years. Just this past june I had my very first x-ray. When nothing showed up and I kept complaining, they gave me an MRI. On the MRI results my doctor told me that I had digenerative disc disease. My doctor never told me what it was or what caused it or if there was anything to be concerned about. So I was wondering if anyone knew what it is, how you get it, what can be done about it and what are the concerns. In english also. Medical terms confuse me! Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 21, 2007 3:15 pm

User avatar Degerative disk disease is a bit of a confusing topic because there is still some disagreement about what it actually is and isn't.

It is generally felt that DDD is a condition where the disk of the spinal canal begins to breakdown and can cause pain.

The term degenerative can be misleading in that the disease is not degenerative to the body, only the disk itself will continue to degenerate and eventually scar down.

There are some treatments if pain is continuing. You may wish to see an orthopedic specialist or a spinal surgeon to be evaluated and get some advise on treatment options. Of note, surgery is generally considered a last resort and only for those with severe symptoms. Other, less invasive treatments should be tried first.

|