Question: Elbow Ijury

andydrobeck - Tue May 01, 2007 12:15 am

I was in a bicycle crash two weeks about going about 25 mph. I landed on my left shoulder, hip, knee, elbow and head. The impact was hard enough to break my helmet. Everything seemed to be healing well until Friday morning when I woke up. My left elbow and just below the elbow impacted during the crash but the skin wasn't broken. It was tender for the last two weeks, but barely bruised or swollen. On Friday when I woke up there was some pretty good swelling and tenderness. Over the weekend the swelling has gotten worse and moved down into my forearm. The area is extremely tender and red. It is warmer to the touch than my other arm and even a little itchy. My range of motion isn't limited and the pain only occurs when presssure is applied. I was wondering why after two weeks its just now swelling and if there could possibly be an infection even though the skin wasn't broken. I did recieve road rash in other areas. Also ice doesn't seem to reduce the swelling and advil does little. I had flu like symptoms immediately following the crash, but those dissapeared after a week. Whats up with my elbow?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 31, 2007 4:40 am

User avatar It's possible that there is an infection present that may have been set up by the accident causing some bruising. Blood is a great culture medium to grow bacteria so a large bruise can become infected.

It may also be that you inadvertently re-injured the area (even without really noticing) and it is now swelling again.

Due to the possibility of an infection you should have this checked out by your doctor.

|