News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Elbow Ijury

andydrobeck - Tue May 01, 2007 12:15 am

I was in a bicycle crash two weeks about going about 25 mph. I landed on my left shoulder, hip, knee, elbow and head. The impact was hard enough to break my helmet. Everything seemed to be healing well until Friday morning when I woke up. My left elbow and just below the elbow impacted during the crash but the skin wasn't broken. It was tender for the last two weeks, but barely bruised or swollen. On Friday when I woke up there was some pretty good swelling and tenderness. Over the weekend the swelling has gotten worse and moved down into my forearm. The area is extremely tender and red. It is warmer to the touch than my other arm and even a little itchy. My range of motion isn't limited and the pain only occurs when presssure is applied. I was wondering why after two weeks its just now swelling and if there could possibly be an infection even though the skin wasn't broken. I did recieve road rash in other areas. Also ice doesn't seem to reduce the swelling and advil does little. I had flu like symptoms immediately following the crash, but those dissapeared after a week. Whats up with my elbow?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 31, 2007 4:40 am

User avatar It's possible that there is an infection present that may have been set up by the accident causing some bruising. Blood is a great culture medium to grow bacteria so a large bruise can become infected.

It may also be that you inadvertently re-injured the area (even without really noticing) and it is now swelling again.

Due to the possibility of an infection you should have this checked out by your doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here