Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back pain

wanza639 - Thu May 03, 2007 9:32 am

I am a 45 year old male and had been having back pain for the last six years. MRI confirmed that I suffered if I am not mistaken PID (don't really undrstand what it is) First I was prescribed with vioxx and now I am taking celebrex. However I wll only take the medication whenever the pain is severe. This usually occurs when I stood or sat for a long period, or when I walked up and down the stairs. There is also numbness on the left side of my body. When I discussed with my doctor he said the only solution to my situation is by having an operation. I would like a second opinion. Is there any other procedures that I can take?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:32 pm

User avatar Back pain can be very challenging. When one begins having symptoms such as numbness, it is indicative that there is some nerve involvement, usually compression of the nerve near the spine.

Surgery can be helpful sometimes but should really be considered as a last resort because back surgery is fraught with complications.

Sometimes physical therapy can be helpful.

I would advise you to get a second evaluation from another back surgeon. Most spine surgeons are reluctant to operate unless there really is no other option due to the potential risks. Sometimes there really are no other treatment options and surgery is the best choice. In these cases, the benefits outweigh the risks and make the surgery worthwhile.

|