Question: Separated shoulder?

LucyCarpentalker - Sun May 06, 2007 8:57 am

Hi, I am a 21 year old female and I work as a baker. A few weeks ago, my shoulder started to hurt badly, and felt like something was out of place. I thought that I had just slept on it wrong, so I waited for it to go away. However, it did not go away. I think, now, that I did something to it by swinging a large, heavy, box of cinnamon rolls onto my shoulder to carry them. It's been about 3 weeks now, and it is still in pain. There is a lump that I can see and feel on the top of my shoulder, and constant stinging/tingling pain. I can feel it pop occassionally, and I can hear it...it is loud. I looked it up on WebMD, and it lead me to the idea of a separated shoulder.

Any help is greatly appreciated
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:50 am

User avatar There are a few possibilities I can think of. One may be a shoulde sprain (similar to an ankle sprain). The lifting may have pulled a muscle causing some inflammation.

Another possibility is a small fracture, particularly of the outside end of the clavicle. It doesn't take much force to fracture the clavicle. There are also many other small, weaker areas of bones in the shoulder joint.

If your pain is not improving I would recommend that you see your doctor and possibly have some x-rays done.

|