Question: Please help me

mi_aguila - Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:01 pm

My 20 year old male friend who is native american broke his rib on the left upper side about 4 inches below his arm pit quite a few months ago. The doctor who saw him said that it would not heal on it's own. He also said that he was bleeding internally because the rib punctured something. (he said the bleeding is very slow) He said that it could not be fixed. I do not understand why he would say this. I am sure that it could be repaired or removed. Am I right? I do not want to lose my friend because the doctor was incompetant or prejudce (we live in the prejudce capital of the world. I have seen it many times while i have been here) He coughs up blood sometimes and has even vomited blood. He is in a lot of pain especially when he moves the wrong way or lifts things. I have seen the tears in his eyes. It is very tender to the touch and when I touched it I felt an indention there. My friend has resigned to the fact that he is going to die. I will not give up. I can not lose him. If you can tell me anything I would most appreciate it and would be forever in your debt. If you can't could you please tell me where to start looking or who to ask. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:32 pm

User avatar It usually takes a couple of months for broken ribs to get better on its own. If he is having difficulty breathing or is coughing blood as you suggested then a new evaluation is necessary. The danger is when there is a lung puncture or worse, a puncture of the large vessels. I think you should get a second opinion by taking him to a different orthopedic surgeon.

Best of luck.
 mi_aguila - Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:06 pm

:D Thank you so much Dr. Fouad! I told him that he needs a second opinion. I told him I would take him to Birmingham or drive all the way to Dallas, Texas if need be. You have made my day, my week, and my year!! I will talk to him as soon as possiable and will get in to an orthopedic surgeon! THis is such a wonderful forum. Lots of people need this place because they cannot afford to go to a bunch of doctors or they did and got the wrong opinion. Thanks again.
Your the Best,
Ashley

|