Question: Sternoclavicular joint dislocation

bindy - Tue May 15, 2007 3:58 am

I am a female born 07/02/1991. And have for the past almost a year and half been sufferring from upper abdominal pain. This upper abdominal pain is always present and is increased by activity... it seems as though lifting things is causing the most of my problem in terms of increasing the pain. I have always belived this to be a muscular problem as my upper abdominal pain is increased with activity. However, i have had a gastroscopy, numerous blood tests, a CT Scan of my abdomen and pelvis, and X-rays of my chest, X-rays of my Spine and an ultrasound. All these tests have come back 'normal'.

Recently, i was looking over all the films from my chest x-ray (taken in december 2006). I had noticed somethign on one of the x-rays in particular when i first recieved them back, however i was told it was probably just an abnormality. So, i was looking over these again and decided to do a few searches on the internet.

~ I would scan this particullar x-rays into the computor, however i do not have access to the equipment required for it, so i'm hoping you can go one what i tell you~

The 'abnormality' is at the site of the Sternoclavicular Joint. My left clavicle appears to be in the right position. However, my right clavicle appears to have a signifigant gap where it should come nicely in and 'appear' to meet with the point where it should connect to the sternum. An example of this which i've found on the internet is below:

Image

As you can see one of the clavicles is considerably 'apart' from where it should be. Although not as 'severe' looking as this x-ray i have the same type of thing happenning with my right clavicle. As i say similar, but not as severe as the one above.

So, i dropped the chest x-ray back at my gp with a printed copy of my example and a little information about sternoclavicular Joint Dislocations. My Gp told me to go back to the doctor who had ordered the x-rays. So i did and he said there is a possibility that it is a Sternoclavicular Joint Dislocation- however, it oculd also be that i was crokked when the x-rays were 'taken'.

>>>In the meantime between when my gp had the x-rays and when the doctor who ordered the x-rays had the x-rays and reviewed them himself. I had another look at the x-rays of my spine which were taken in June 2006 (by another doctor). The same 'abnormality' was on one of them which had viewed the top region of my spine. <<<

When i told the doctor who had sent be for the chect x-rays that there was the same thing on the other spine x-rays he seemed to turn his review around and said that having 2 of the same things changed everything. Needless to say he told me to go back to my GP and get a referral to a Orhtopedic Surgeoon.

So i have gone back to the Gp who looked at the chest x-rays again and again said that there appears to be somethign wrong there. I showed her the spine x-rays and she too was convinved that because there are 2 that it is unlikely that what i am seeing is just from being 'crooked'.

So have now got a referral to an Orhtopedic Surgeon and an appointment booked for the 28th of this month. Am hoping this will finally get me back to normal again.

However, if anyone can give me any information at all about wether a sternoclavicular joint dislocation could trigger upper abdominal pain i woudl really appreciate it. My GP said that my upper abdominal pain could be a case of referred pain from the sternoclavicular joint dislocation. Or if it is dislocated that it may be pushing on nerves which travel around my upper abdomen.

I know that i don't have the clinical signs of a sternoclavicular joint dislocation but my in the initial horse riding accient (and we've been telling doctors this all along) i landed on my shoulders. I cannot rememeber back that far now as to wether i had shoulder/clavicle pain but i do feel tendernedd underneath the clavicle which appears abnormal in the example (above). I have heard of people who ahve 'broken' their collar bones and they've felt neaseaus so yeah...

If anyone can give me any info as i said before it owuld be greatly appreciated. :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

User avatar It would be quite unlikely for a SC joint dislocation to cause any abdominal pain. It may be that you had a prior dislocation that never reduced and now is not causing you any trouble.

It may also be that you simply have a normal variation of your joint. The orthopedist will be able to help determine this for you.

If you have not seen a GI specialist this may be helpful. You may have a hiatal hernia, where the stomach moves up into the chest some. This can cause upper abdominal pain and be worsened by activity.

|