Question: MRI report...please help me understand

shorti81 - Sun May 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Mild interspace narrowing with decreased signal intenisty is confirmed at L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1, consistent with disk degeneration and dehydration. A small focus of increased signal intensity is confirmed in the peripheral anulus of L5-S1, consistant with RADIAL TEAR

No disk herniation or canal stenosis is suggested at the throacolumbar junction at L1-L2

L2-L3 a small bulge of the anulus is demonstrated with flattening of the thecal sca contour. Superimposed upon the bulge is a small left paracentral disk herniation which mildly distorts the thecal sac focally. No cancal stenosis or foraminal encroachment is apparent, however. The facet joint appears intact

L3-L4 a small bulge of the anulus mildly distorst the thecal sac. No focal disk herniation or canal stenosis is demonstrated. no foraminal encroachment is apparent. facet joint appears intact

L4-L5 a small to moderate buldge flattens the thecal sac contour. Superimposed on the bulge is a small central disk protrusion. No canal stenosis is evident. Mild bilateral foraminal extension of the bulge is without foraminal encroachment. The facet joint appears intact.

L5-S1 a small to moderate bulge is demonstrated which abuts the thecal sac. The bulge is somewhat more prominent to the left side with a mild left foraminal encroachment resulting. No significant right foraminal encroachment is suggested. No canal stenosis is confirmed. The facet joint is unremarkable.

The conus is normal in postion with intake size, contour, and signal intensity. No crowding of the nerve roots of cuada equina is suggested.

No paraspinal mass is discerned
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 am

User avatar Hi shorti81,
In my opinion the report essentially indicates that there is no apparent paraspinal mass identified. It does however indicate that you have disk degeneration and bulging/herniation in the lower area of your back/spine.
 sk8coach84 - Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 pm

I have had an MRI after a fall on my right shoulder. They told me I had an impingement of the tendon and alot of scar tissue around the rotator cuff. I have had physical therapy and it made it much worse. Will I need surgery ? I cannot lift my arm without severe pain. Please advise ...
Thanks ,
sk8coach84
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Shoulder impingement can be caused by either a structural abnormality like a bone spur or from poor mechanics while using the arm (or both).
Impingement can be painful and can predispose to rotator cuff to tear and/or frozen shoulder to develop.

The question of surgery is a good one. If P.T. is making things worse, then discussing surgical options with an orthopedist is reasonable. The surgeon can shave off the end of the scapula (called acromioplasty) and decompress the impinged rotator cuff tendon.

Depending on the extent of damage and duration of your shoulder problem the prognosis is good - 8-12 weeks of rehab to restore range of motion f/b strengthening.

Take care and let us know how things turn out.

|