News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Possible patellar fracture?

kms3111 - Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi, I am a 42 y/o female. Five days ago I tripped and fell hard against a vacuum canister, directly on my knee cap. There was a discernable dent. The pain was horrendous but two days of rest and I was and am able to walk with hardly any pain, apart from going up stairs. However, when I sit still, esp. with my knee at a right angle, for any length of time, the area I struck begins to ache. Last night the pain woke me from sleep. Is this just the normal healing process from a trauma to a bone or should I have an x-ray? How many days healing should I expect (roughly) before the pain goes away, if you don't think it is fractured? This is a great service and I Thank You for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:44 am

User avatar Patellar fractures are possible. It does take a fair amount of force to do this, though. If you have pain over the knee cap when pushing on it, a fracture is possible. If pressure does not cause pain it is less likely to be fractured.

It may be that you have some bruising of the tissues surrounding the patella as well. These can take a while to really heal completely because they get moved with every step you take.

If the pain is not improving after about a week I would recommend that you see your doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here