Question: Possible patellar fracture?

kms3111 - Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi, I am a 42 y/o female. Five days ago I tripped and fell hard against a vacuum canister, directly on my knee cap. There was a discernable dent. The pain was horrendous but two days of rest and I was and am able to walk with hardly any pain, apart from going up stairs. However, when I sit still, esp. with my knee at a right angle, for any length of time, the area I struck begins to ache. Last night the pain woke me from sleep. Is this just the normal healing process from a trauma to a bone or should I have an x-ray? How many days healing should I expect (roughly) before the pain goes away, if you don't think it is fractured? This is a great service and I Thank You for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:44 am

User avatar Patellar fractures are possible. It does take a fair amount of force to do this, though. If you have pain over the knee cap when pushing on it, a fracture is possible. If pressure does not cause pain it is less likely to be fractured.

It may be that you have some bruising of the tissues surrounding the patella as well. These can take a while to really heal completely because they get moved with every step you take.

If the pain is not improving after about a week I would recommend that you see your doctor.

|