Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain, small ball that moves a bit when touched

etnama1 - Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:57 pm

I am an 18 year old female and I have been having right lower back pain for about two weeks now. The other day I noticed a small ball like mass on the lower right side of my back where the pain has been occuring. I was just touching it when i noticed that it moves a bit, shifts somewhat but it is basically in the same place. My mom is making me a doctors appt. sometime this week but I'm very concerned and I was hoping you could give me a little insight into what it may be. Thank You so much!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 pm

User avatar Based on the location you are describing, I suspect that the lump you are feeling is a lipoma. A lipoma is a small fat cell tumor that is non-cancerous and generally does not cause any pain. However, if they are located just right, they may cause increased pressure on surrounding structures or be hit a lot during daily activities. If they are bothersome they can be generally easily removed.

If the mass is just right and putting pressure on the muscles of the back it may cause some pain from the muscles.

Seeing a doctor will be helpful to figure out for sure what is going on but generally lumps in this area are not dangerous.

|