Question: Hand injury

theone - Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Two days ago I hit my hand pretty hard on the edge of a counter, i hit the top of it where the vein coming from the index finger runs through the back of the hand, at the time I hit it my hand went kind of numb and i had horrible pain, I'm worried because it still hurts, i can't squeeze things and when i try to rotate my wrist [as to put my palm facing up] i can feel a cracking noise on my arm. I also noticed that the vein that runs on the back of the hand from the index finger seems to not fill up with blood now, it seems as if i hit right on the vein, nerve or tendon or whatever is right there, is this something that needs medical attention or will it heal on its own? do i need to keep it bandaged to prevent more injury? By the way I'm 21 and have a few preexisting conditions: diabetes, celiac.
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:58 am

User avatar Dear Theone,
Injuries to the hand can sometimes turn out more serious than previously guessed. While we consider our hands to be formidable (we do EVERYTHING with them after all!) they are actually made up of an intricate skeletal system with 27 - yes 27- bones of varying sizes and fragility. Combine these with a knitted network of tendons, ligaments and veins/arteries, and you have the potential for quick disaster at the freakiest accidents! It certainly sounds like you have possibly hurt one or more of each of these components, and it would be wise for you to have your hand evaluated by your primary care physician or the local urgent care/ER. An xray would easily tell if any fractures have occurred, and with further diagnostic tests they can determine if nerve endings or veins have been damaged. You have a potentially long life projected ahead of you, and any small damages you think you may have experienced now could certainly turn out to be long lasting and debilitating. Yes, I recommend you have this injury further evaluated.

|