Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Kyphosis-should I be worried?

tiredofbeingahunchback - Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:58 pm

I am a 18 year old female.
My Mom does not believe there is anything wrong at all and as I don't drive she is my way to the doctor. The times I have gone to the doctor about it he tip toes around my question for some reason.
I had one back X-ray (an old riding injury) and when the results came back the doctor said I had a slight amount of scoliosis and that is the most he has ever said.
I also have Kyphosis that I am getting worried about. I can't remember when it started getting veru noticable, probably between 8-11. At the top my spine turns in, pushing my head alittle forward. My lower back also bends in alot. My lower back gets very uncomfortable when I first go to bed, and it takes my awhile to find a comfortable position. My neck and shoulders often get very sore and tight if I'm sitting alot or very active that day. I am very not flexible. The closest I've ever come to reaching my toes is about 12 inches atleast above my foot.

I'm extremly tired of being a hunchback. I'm extremly self-coniouss and I just wish there was something I could do. But worst of all it seems to be getting worse and not only am I getting depressed, I'm getting worried.
I included a link to pictures and am hoping someone can tell me if I should start being worried or not?

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album ... ertainment
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 pm

User avatar Keep in mind that pictures often don't do justice to the real thing, but based on these I would say that you do have some slightly increased kyphosis. I don't think it is particularly significant at this point. The concerning part is that you say it is getting worse.

There is a condition known as Scheuermann's kyphosis that occurs beginning in adolescence. You may have this (although there are other causes as well).

You may want to consider being evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon. They are basically the skeletal experts. At this point, I think it is unlikely that you would need to have any corrective measures taken but it is always good to get an expert opinion.

tiredofbeingahunchback - Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:03 am

Ok, thanks so much for the advice!
 irisheyes2006 - Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Hello there:

I just came accross this post last evening and I know it was posted in 2007 but I would also suggest that you get it checked by an orthopeadic surgeon as I know my 16 year old son just had a spianal fusion on September 22, 2008 as he was diagnosed with Scheurmans Kyphosis and when he had a bone scan this past sprin his spine was x-rayed and he had a kyphosis of between 85-90 degree and his hump was very noticable and he constantly had back pains and leg pains as well as having a hard time breathing but not only did he have kyphosis he also has Pectus Excavatum which is a sunken chest he also had that operated on this past May where they put a bar in his chest to bring his chest outward and that bar stays in for 3 years then he will have that removed. The spinal fusion he had they inserted two titanium rods on each side of his spine going from T-2 right down to L-2 so now his kyphosis is at a 50-55 degree which is alot better.

My son was in surgery for 11 hours and he also had blood transfusions but he had donated his own blood and his duration in the hospital was exactally 1 week he is still not back to school as of yet but we do have a follow up visit this Friday coming at the Shriners Hospital in Montreal Canada for x-rays and a checkup we will also see the Doctor who has operated on his chest back in May for a follow up. We also just found out that my son is now diagnosed with Marfans Syndrome which I guess is all related to his chest and spine issues. It just seems like one thing after another.

Anyway just wanted to let you know you are not alone with the hump on your back. Please get it checked if you haven't already.

Good Luck
irisheyes2006

|