Question: cast vs boot for broken foot

wendy - Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:55 am

because i freaked out with the cast on my broken foot - i have big black boot - i beleive it is called a walking boot - is there any dif between a boot and a cast on a broken foot - i still have to keep my foot from touching the ground and i am doing that - but i still can wiggle my foot and i wonder if that is not good - would a cast prevent any movement at all - or are a boot and a cast pretty similar. i wish i could have kept the cast on - i wonder if it would ave helped my foot heal faster.
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 pm

User avatar Dear Wendy,
A walking boot is designed to provide a certain amount of stability to an injured foot. A cast tends to be more rigid and unwielding. The doctor typically would not allow a switch to a boot unless in your case either a boot or a cast would be suitable alternatives. Which bones were fractured? Sometimes either a boot or a cast are equally stabilizing (except that your friends cannot sign a boot as easily as a cast!) If the cast was too cumbersome, or felt too confining, then a walking boot may be a suitable alternative - so long as you adhere to your doctor's instructions regarding weight bearing, and foot care. The boot may require that you are more deliberately adherent to the doctor's instructions since it is technically a removable device. Please adhere strictly to your doctor's instructions, so that the outcome may be just as positive as if you had kept the cast.
 wendy - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 pm

i am not doing any weight bearing on my foot at all - and i leave the boot on at all times except when i take a shower - which i can sit in my shower - it just feels like my foot can wiggle a bunch - i broke the bone that comes from my pinky toe to my ankle - it looks like it is split up the middle - a long break
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:34 am

User avatar Dear wendy,
Sounds like you have a good handle on your self care, and are adhering to the doctor's orders for
NWB (non-weight-bearing). By being careful with your movements - and even your hygiene, you will provide optimal opportunity for your foot to heal. Continue to report any concerns to your podiatrist (foot specialist) or your PMD. A team approach to your problem will provide the best possible outcome.

|