News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: pregnant and possible pelvic fracture

jolidale - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:36 am

I am currrently 24 weeks pregnant. I think I may have an IPR stress fracture. I've had one before, but on the other side of what I currently have, which is the reason I believe I may have one. I know I can't get an x-ray or bone scan without possibly hurting my baby. Is there any way i can get an ultrasound or sonogram to look at the bone? If not, is there anything I can do to determine if I have one?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:43 pm

User avatar I would recommend you talk to your obstetrician and possibly consider seeing an orthopedist. While plain film x-rays are relatively low in radiation, pelvic x-rays do have a bit more radiation than others (not much but it is more).

If there is high suspicion, your orthopedist and obstetrician may elect to treat you as if you have a fracture rather than expose you to the radiation. If there is concern and the diagnosis is uncertain they may feel it is safe to get the single set of plain film x-rays.

A CT scan would show a fracture very well but I would strongly recommend against a CT scan at this point do to the significant amount of radiation exposure.

MRI may also show a fracture and does not involve radiation. We believe MRI is probably safe during pregnancy but we really don't have long term data that I am aware of so generally I avoid MRI's if possible. (Given the choice I would do MRI before CT). Ultrasound is unlikely to show anything.

There really isn't a great imaging method for a suspected pelvic fracture in pregnancy, unfortunately. As such, treatment recommendations are likely to be conservative.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here