Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: knee pain after carrying weight up and down stairs...

Synergie - Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:48 pm

I have noticed that this happens almost every time I carry any sort of weight repeatedly up and down stairs, or an incline. (mostly this happens at work)

I am in the military (navy) a 31 yr old female, and this has been happening for as long as I can remember. Often we are required to carry things on board up and down stairs, and across gangways that are on inclines etc. Today we were offloading all of the food we had on board after a long trip. This involved carrying heavy bags of frozen meat etc over and over again. Shortly after we started, I noticed my knees both were painful, and it was hard to get up and down on the steps.

The pain is in the front of my knees, just below my kneecaps and from center towards the outside. It hurts to step and and down and sometimes even just to bend it while sitting down.

I always thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that my legs are kind of misaligned like if I stand with my feet together, my knees point inward (knock kneed?) Everytime this happens, it usually goes away on its own after a few days but I am worried that some time I will not be able to hide it at work.

What could be happening? And how can I prevent it from happening again? I do not want to mention it at work because it could affect my career.

Synergie - Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:49 pm

I cant edit... I forgot to also add that the pain is worse when going down stairs than when going up.

|