Question: Fell Down Stairs/Leg Hurts

Green Jade 007 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:01 pm

I fell down the stairs a week ago, and was left with a football size bruse on the side of my leg at the top of my thigh. The center of the bruse is starting to dissapate, but there is still a large bump in the center. I'm still experiencing pain when walking, especially at the end of the day after being on my feet all day. I know it takes alot to break the femur bone, so I'm wondering is it possiable that I broke it or is it just badly brused? Is it even possiable to be able to walk on it if its broken/fractured? Thank you for your time...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:22 pm

User avatar Hi Green Jade 007,

There are a few possibilities. One is that you have a severe bruise of your leg muscles. These can take several weeks to heal and feel normal again.

It may also be that you have a fracture of your femur. It does take a fair amount of force to do this; however, a fall can easily generate this force. If it is not a complete break you may still be able to walk on it.

It sounds like you should probably be seen by your doctor for an evaluation to make sure everything is alright.

|