Question: Knee Injury

efhsxc23 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:07 pm

I am a 20 year old healthy male and I stay active by running and biking. About 2 weeks ago, I was involved in a bike crash and I went straight down on my knee. There was swelling and it hurt to walk, so I immediately put ice on it and rested it for the rest of the week. Last week, I tried to start runing again and about 1 mile in, my knee felt weak with every stride and after I stopped, it was followed with some more pain and swelling. I began resting again for another week, following a good icing routine (about 15 min on/1 hr off). Today, I tried to run again and got about 3 miles with no pain until the same problem started to creep in again. I need to get running pain free again soon because I am training for a race, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:44 pm

User avatar Hi Efhsxc23,

There are several things in the knee that can be damaged with trauma, including the patella (knee cap), tendons, ligaments and cartilage.

You may have a fracture of your patella or may have damaged one of the cartilage meniscus that helps cushion the knee.

I would recommend you see a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedic surgeon to have your knee fully evaluated. If you don't have one of these doctors in your area your primary care doctor may feel quite comfortable evaluating the knee.

|