News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: VA doctors unable to diagnose

JESSEDIAZ27 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:58 pm

27, m, disabled veteran diagnosed initially with spinal epidural hematoma after a vehicle accident. VA doctors are unable to diagnos the aftermath.
-) DDD w/ disc desiccation and height loss seen at L4-L5 and more prominently at L5-S1.
-) Associated anterior extradural deffects are seen at these levels.
-) L2-L3: Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy seen.
-) L3-L4: Asymmetric annular disc bulges seen at this level w/o evidence of significant central canal stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing. Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy is also seen.
-) L4-L5: There is an asymmetric disc bulge at this level more prominently affecting the left central and foraminal location w/o eidence of neuroforaminal narrowing. The transiting left L5 nerve is posteriorly displaced and enlarged compared w/ the contralateral nerve root suggesting compromise. No central canal stenosis is present. Mild bilateral poster facet hypertrophy is seen.
-) L5-S1: Asymetric disc bulge at this level more prominently affecting the left central and foraminal location producing mild left neuroforaminal narrowing. A punctate focus of increased T2 signal as seen in the posterior sub annular region of the L5-S1 discs. No significant central canal stenosis is present. Mild bilateral poster facet hypertrophy is seen.

IMPRESSIONS:
-) Mild central canal stenosis at L4-L5.
-) Left neural foramina narrowing at L4-L5 and L5-S1 secondary to asymmetric left foraminal annular disc bulge.
-) L5-S1 focal posterior sub annular increased T2 signal consistent w/ a sub annular defect vs fissure.

Current Pain:
With or without performing physical activities while standing, stooping, kneeling, sitting, laying down in any position, etc. I feel stabbing, stinging, sharp and dull pains that radiate through out my body (i.e. legs, arms, lower-middle-upper back, knees, feet, hips, well pretty much every where. At times the pain will be a stabbing pain in the middle of my spine and then radiate up my spine, through my neck and into my head causing a migrane that makes you wish you were in a dark room with no one around. The pain also radiates at times down through my legs, knees and into my feet causing my toes to feel numb. The pain at times also radiates through my arms and makes my finger tips feel numb. There is also a feeling throughout of an electric wave as if coursing through my veins and gives me a feeling of heat afterward. There is always pain whether it is severe or just naggingly constant. If any physician has ever come across this type of medical mystery, please, any knowledge or help will be eternally appreciated by myself and my family. As well as the VA doctors. Thank you for your time and patience.
JESSE
jessediaz27@yahoo.com
Current Medications: Tramadol 1 50mg tablet 4 times a day. 800mg ibuprofren 3 times a day. Tizanidine 4mg tablet once at bedtime and morning.
Sertraline 150mg at bedtime. Amitriptyline HCL 25mg tablet at bedtime.

JESSEDIAZ27 - Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:32 pm

JESSEDIAZ27 wrote:27, m, disabled veteran diagnosed initially with spinal epidural hematoma after a vehicle accident. VA doctors are unable to diagnose the aftermath. Nothing has been explained to me regardless of how many times I have requested an explanation of these medical terms. What is happening to me?
-) DDD w/ disc desiccation and height loss seen at L4-L5 and more prominently at L5-S1.
-) Associated anterior extradural deffects are seen at these levels.
-) L2-L3: Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy seen.
-) L3-L4: Asymmetric annular disc bulges seen at this level w/o evidence of significant central canal stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing. Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy is also seen.
-) L4-L5: There is an asymmetric disc bulge at this level more prominently affecting the left central and foraminal location w/o eidence of neuroforaminal narrowing. The transiting left L5 nerve is posteriorly displaced and enlarged compared w/ the contralateral nerve root suggesting compromise. No central canal stenosis is present. Mild bilateral poster facet hypertrophy is seen.
-) L5-S1: Asymetric disc bulge at this level more prominently affecting the left central and foraminal location producing mild left neuroforaminal narrowing. A punctate focus of increased T2 signal as seen in the posterior sub annular region of the L5-S1 discs. No significant central canal stenosis is present. Mild bilateral poster facet hypertrophy is seen.

IMPRESSIONS:
-) Mild central canal stenosis at L4-L5.
-) Left neural foramina narrowing at L4-L5 and L5-S1 secondary to asymmetric left foraminal annular disc bulge.
-) L5-S1 focal posterior sub annular increased T2 signal consistent w/ a sub annular defect vs fissure.

Current Pain:
With or without performing physical activities while standing, stooping, kneeling, sitting, laying down in any position, etc. I feel stabbing, stinging, sharp and dull pains that radiate through out my body (I.
e. legs, arms, lower-middle-upper back, knees, feet, hips, well pretty much every where. At times the pain will be a stabbing pain in the middle of my spine and then radiate up my spine, through my neck and into my head causing a migrane that makes you wish you were in a dark room with no one around. The pain also radiates at times down through my legs, knees and into my feet causing my toes to feel numb. The pain at times also radiates through my arms and makes my finger tips feel numb. There is also a feeling throughout of an electric wave as if coursing through my veins and gives me a feeling of heat afterward. There is always pain whether it is severe or just naggingly constant. If any physician has ever come across this type of medical mystery, please, any knowledge or help will be eternally appreciated by myself and my family. As well as the VA doctors. Thank you for your time and patience.
JESSE
jessediaz27@yahoo.
com
Current Medications: Tramadol 1 50mg tablet 4 times a day. 800mg ibuprofren 3 times a day. Tizanidine 4mg tablet once at bedtime and morning.
Sertraline 150mg at bedtime. Amitriptyline HCL 25mg tablet at bedtime.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here