Question: Fractured Pelvis/Sacrum

Emmyloo - Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:00 pm

As a result of a motor vehicle accident 2 1/2 weeks ago I have fractures to my pubis in two places (on the left) and a fractured sacrum (also on the left). So far it has been managed by immobilisation, however I am able to move around on a walking frame if i put weight on the right leg only. The left side remains extremely painful to move or put weight on. I am wondering how long it takes for this type of injury to heal: specifically how long before i can expect to be mobile and pain free?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:44 am

User avatar Hi Emmyloo,

As you have discovered, it takes a fair amount of force to fracture the pelvis and sacrum. Unfortunately it also takes a long time to heal. It is not uncommon for people with these fractures to be off the affected side for 6-8 weeks.

Your orthopedic doctor will be able to give you more specifics regarding the timing for you since he is aware of exactly what type and how bad your fracture was.

|