Question: Softball to the Head

tbarnes42 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:24 pm

i am a 33 year old male. 5 days ago i was playing softball. in the outfield a line drive came at me, bounced once and then hit me in the forehead. it hit me above the right eyesocket, close to the center of the head....above the nose.

anyway.....i got a lump, kept on playing, put some ice on it that night. no other symptoms or problems. just feels like a bruise.

anyway...i was running my fingers around my eye socket and i can feel, like , a divet or something. like a dent in the bone.

did i crack my skull or something? i figure if i actually did it would feel a whole lot worse then just a bruise.

is it possible that i chipped a piece of bone off and it is floating around in my face?

i hate to sound paranoid or a hypochondriac. but i'm just concernced.

any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks, Terry
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:45 pm

User avatar Hi Terry,

Softball strikes to the head can hit with enough force to fracture the skull bones. It is possible that you have a depression fracture from the impact. These would tend to be fairly painful but lack of pain does not necessarily rule it out.

Given the location of area involved (potentially involving the orbit) I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation just to be sure everything is OK.

|