Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Pain In Thighs

terribeth - Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:36 pm

I am 35 years old. Female. No clots or blockages. No past diagnoses. My grandmother's sister on my mother's side died of Muscular Dystrophy. I take Yasmin birth- control pills. My thighs hurt all the time. Hurts to sit, stand and lay down. Worse at night, can't sleep due to pain. Heavy, tired, sore feelings. The longer I sit or stand, the worse it gets.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 pm

User avatar Hi Terribeth,

There are a few possibilities I can think of off hand. First you may have a herniated disk in your back pushing on the spinal cord.

Another thing that fits better is a condition called tethered cord syndrome. It occurs when the nerves at the bottom of the spinal cord, which are normally loose, are bound to the bottom of the spinal bones. Then, as the patient grows the spinal cord becomes stretched. It causes pain in a "saddle" distribution along the inner thighs. It can also cause problems with bowel and bladder function.

This can be tested for with an MRI of the lower spine.

I would recommend you see your doctor about this for an exam. If there is suspicion of a tethered cord I would recommend you have an MRI.

terribeth - Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:08 pm

My thighs hurt all the time. Hurts to sit, stand and lay down. Worse at night, can't sleep due to pain. Heavy, tired, sore feelings. The longer I sit or stand, the worse it gets. My chiropractor says I have either a bulging disc or spinal stenosis. What are these and what do I do now?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:49 pm

User avatar A bulging disk is when the soft area of the spine gets pushed out of its normal space and compresses the spinal cord.

Spinal stenosis is when the area where the nerves leave the spinal canal becomes narrowed compressing the nerves.

Both these issues may cause symptoms similar to yours. Spinal stenosis is less likely to cause pain on both sides unless both sides are closing (usually it is only one).

Both these issues can be tested for by an MRI as well.

|