Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: degenerative disc disease

greeneyes58 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:04 pm

49 year old female, just dx with deg. disc disease, family history of osteo arthritis and dx disc disease, cannot take nsaids, or anti inflammatory meds at all. Can take only 3 ibuprophen a day, cannot take steroids, I have a very sensitive stomach. I do suffer from spinal pain, I have several bulging discs, and I suffer with severe knee pain due to osteoarthritis, what do you suggest for pain and what does my future appear to be with pain. The 3 ibuprophen just don't cut it. I also take nexium everynight. I have had knee injections for several years now. Thank you so much for your opinion Greeneyes58
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:29 pm

User avatar Hi Greeneyes58,

Unfortunately, osteoarthritis and degenerative disk disease tend to be chronic pain producers. NSAIDS are often helpful but can be hard on the stomach as you have found.

You may want to talk to your doctor about trying one of the COX-2 inhibitor type anti-inflammatories (such as celebrex or vioxx). Basically these are a subclass of NSAIDS that more specifically target the pain aspects of inflammation and are supposed to cause less GI irritation. They may work well for you.

Some people will have trouble, even with these meds though. If this turns out to be the case you may want to consider seeing a pain specialist.

neednewback - Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Acupuncture and a TENS machine can be used for pain reduction and muscle stimulation. I have just recently been diagnosed with multiple bulging discs, disc disc dessication, a tear and a few other things.

I'm starting acupuncture tomorrow and going to buy a TENS machine and have high hopes for them both. I have been on meds for 2 weeks and my goal is to get off soon and start to rehabilitate my back.

What do people think of acupuncture and TENS.
 soreknee - Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm

I have had laser microspine on my back but still have lots of pain and problems with muscle spasms. I have used a TENS unit for over a year, it helps to block the pain signals and seems to loosen the muscles alittle. I bought mine online and the electrodes as well. The $50 units work as well as the $100 units. I also use muscle relaxing cream and lidocaine patches.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon May 04, 2009 6:07 am

Thanks for writing in.

The Tens unit is a good option for pain relief. It is non invasive and can be used long term without side effects.

A drawback is the patches need to be placed on the low back and changed regularly so if a person has difficulty reaching or seeing the area it may take a bit to learn how to apply the patches.

The skin must be inspected for irritation or allergic reaction.

|