News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Foot Fracture

aprilgirl12 - Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm

I am a 20 year old female. About 5 weeks ago I fell on my right foot and immediately had tremendous throbbing pain, swelling and bruising. The pain was initially more localized to the midfoot but began to spread throughout the whole foot and then up my leg. I went to the ER and was told I had a navicular avulsion fracture. At the fracture clinic the next day I was given a fracture boot for comfort but was told that it would heal with or without anything on it. For the next few weeks I wore the boot mostly when I was out and not around the house. I went back to the fracture clinic 3 weeks post injury and this time the xrays also showed some sort of cuboid fracture aswell as I was still having a lot of pain, swelling and tenderness mostly on the lateral side of my foot. The orthopedic said that both fractures would still heal fine with no further treatment. It has now been over 5 weeks and I am still having pain and some swelling on the lateral side of my foot especially when walking on it. A lot of the pain and swelling is felt and seen where the calcaneous and cuboid meet as well as where the cuboid meets the 5th metatarsal. I have not used the boot for the past 2 weeks, but occasionally wear and slip on tensor. Is this normal to still have swelling and pain that long after the injury. I am pretty sure the fractures are mostly healed but could there be other damage that needs to be treated or will that all just heal with time?

Thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 pm

User avatar Hi Aprilgirl12,

Feet fractures can take a long time to heal because the feet are used on a constant basis. They should heal fine, though. It is possible that you may have damaged some of the tendons/ligaments in the foot as well. These may be causing you some pain also.

If your pain is not slowly, but steadily, getting better I would recommend you follow up with your orthopedist just to be sure all is well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here