Question: Cracked Rib

williamwoof - Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:22 pm

hi there, i am a 39 year old male, i cracked a rib 3 weeks ago and i am in a lot of pain still. I was taking Oxy contin 10 mg at night to help me sleep and am taking 4 percocets twice daily. Now i am just taking the percocets as i don't really want to take the oxies anymore. I can now only start to take deep breaths and start to cough, i wouldnt dare sneeze. The pain has changed from a sharp pain to ...um...sort of a burning pain. Is this normal??? and how long can i expect to be in pain??? I thank you in advance for any coments you may have, sincerely, William
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:59 pm

User avatar Hi William,

Crack ribs can hurt for a long time, sometimes months. The problem, as you are finding out, is that with each breath you move the rib cage. Because of this constant movement it can take the ribs longer to heal well.

The key is that your pain should continue to slowly improve. If it starts getting worse or stops getting better you should follow up with your doctor again.

|