Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Horrible, lower right back pain with radiating pain in r leg

LOWERRIGHTBACK4133 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:04 am

1. 32
2. f
3. Lupus, fibromyalgia, thyroid disease, high bp,sleep apnea (sp), carpel tunnel in (r) wrist, burcitis (sp) in both hips, mild kidney damage, depression, anxiety.
4. gall bladder removal
5. ankylosing spondylitis (mother)
6. 2400 mg motrin
synthroid, nexum, bp med x2 ,cymbalta

Any help would be grealty appreciated
L5-S1 Desiccation change, disc space narrowing, and shallow right paracentral broad-based disc protrusion which displaces the proximal right S1 nerve root posterior 1mm. Thecal sac prematurely terminates at the L5-S1 level on a developmental basis and there is no mass-effect by the disc protrusion upon the thecal sac. Facets are mildly hypertrophic and L5 formina are patent.

Pain in back since 2003. currently ongoing for 6 weeks. Pain in lower back going into right leg. My (r) leg jerks on its own. As well as the (r) arm. I can't stand for more than a few moments. Walking is the same way. I walk bent over. Numbness in various parts of the right side of body. Sitting in certain chairs causes great pain. Comfortable only couch.
I also experience a tight banding sensation on my lower stomach as well as my thighs. I went to the store yesterday, trying to move instead of loafing on the couch. I only picked up a few things. By the time I reached the counter I was completly exhausted and in horrible pain. I was sweating like I had been running a marathon. It took all I had to get to my truck crawl in (4x4) and drive home. Yes I am over weight. Mostly to thyroid disease and 4 pregnancies and steriods and depression meds. I know I have several things going on.. However my weight has never stopped me before.. I know it's a huge issue and plays a huge part in some of my issues. I will see a different doc on the 28, since my normal dr can't see me until the 12 of sept. If anyone can give any help to what is going on and if activity is okay for me.. I get so out of breath when walking this didn't start until the back issue..
Thank you for your time and any help you can give
ps I'm 32 with 3 children
~Rhonda
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:42 pm

User avatar Hi Rhonda,

There are a few things that may be going on. I suspect that you may have something more than a simple pulled muscle although this would be possible.

Autoimmune diseases such as lupus tend to run in packs so it is possible that you may have a condition called ankylosing spondylitis that can cause spinal pain.

Your lupus may also be causing your symptoms.

I'm glad to see you have an appointment with your doctor. This type of pain should be evaluated to see if further studies are needed.

|