Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Injured myself while asleep!

countrygirl - Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:18 pm

am 46yr old female with severe neck problem ( prolapsed C5/6 with bad arthritis and ddd in rest of spine).

I have declined op as too dangerous and live with condition.

Last night I woke in night and I was laying on my right side with my left arm uppermost. I had somehow got my left arm rigidly straight but also rotated so that the back of my hand was down on the bedcovers so a very unatural position. I had severe pins and needles from elbow into hand which eventually subsided but I have severe tingling burning sensation at top of shoulder just below neck when I move around plus a stabbing pain at bottom of left shoulder blade again when I move arms. I also get this shoulder blade pain on bending my head forward/down. My hand aches horribly if I try to use it especially if I try to grip.

I assume the unatural position I had the arm in and it may have been for a long time has trapped nerves and strained muscles etc and am using ice and massage to try and help but any other suggestions to speed the healing process??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 pm

User avatar I must apologize that nobody was available last month to answer your post. I'm sure you are now better - at least I hope so.

I couldn't have suggested anything more than what you were doing. Anti-inflammatory medications can help somewhat if you can tolerate them in a dose that will actually be helpful. To aid healing in the future - after using ice for the first 48 hours for inflammation, you may wish to move to heat intermittently after that to increase the blood flow, thus facilitating healing.

Chronic problems such as this can certainly be frustrating.

Again, I'm sorry we weren't prompt in our reply. We are lacking this particular type of specialist right now so the rest of us try to fill in as best we can.

Best wishes

|