Question: Broken Clavicle

pottyandy - Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:30 am

Im 16, male, when i was 15 last november i broke my clavicle and i had surgery, a flexible titanium nail was put inside me, and i still have it in today.

Sometimes it can get sore the end of the nail which i can feel and see udner my skin near my neck, the doctor told me the bone will grow over this in time, How much time?

Also if i wanted to have it removed he said it would be a tiny cut near where you can see it, would i behable to have a local anathesia? I really don't like general i like to be awake and know whats going on.

Thank you
Andy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:53 pm

User avatar Hi Andy,

I'm not exactly certain of the amount of time but I do know it can take a long time. (I would have thought that 10 months would have been long enough but I may be wrong.)

Certainly, though, by now the bone is well healed so removal of the nail is likely an option. I suspect it would need a bit more than local anesthesia but it probably would not require full general anesthesia to do. They anesthesiologist or surgeon may be able to just give you some medicine by IV to make you sleepy and get good pain control without having to make you go all the way to sleep.

My advice would be to talk with your surgeon about this, though, to verify what I am saying.

pottyandy - Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:15 pm

that sounds good, my nan had a hip replacement when she was awake before.

That sounds ok been sleepy, its just i like to know im there and nothing going wrong etc..

|