Question: Pain and swelling after Tibia sugery

SONGURAI - Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:05 pm

I am 30 year old male I broke my tibia and fibula in a motorcycle accident on june 18 (three months ago) i had surgery using a nail and 2 screws.
The healing seems to be going well, I am walking around ok but I still have swelling at my knee and all the way down my leg I also sometimes have a great deal of pain when i am laying down for a short period of time and then move my leg,it seems odd because i never have this pain when there is weight on it anyway
maybe you could help me with some advice
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:31 pm

User avatar Hi Songurai,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. The board is quite busy.

If you are still having this swelling I would suggest you see your orthopedic surgeon again. It may be that there is simply some scar tissue and fluid remaining from the trauma and surgery but this usually resolves faster than this. An unlikely possibility is some sort of reaction to the plate and screws.

|