News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Searching for the right explanation

madnan - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:31 am

Age - 20
Sex - Male
Past diagnoses - None
Past surgeries - None
Family History - No backpain as I have right now.
Weight - 90 KG

I am experiencing backpain from 2-3 months, I cannot walk a lot and have to take pain killers in order to suppress the pain.

The Medical report is:

Straightening of lumbar curvature due to muscular spasm. Disc dessication and subligamentous disc protrusions noted at L4-5 & L5 S1. Axial images reveal mild to moderate spinal stenosis due to fact joint athropathy, hypertrophic ligamentum flavum and broad based central disc protrusion at L4-5.
Central and right para-central disc protrusion causing centero-lateral canal stenosis and compression of right S1 nerve root at L5 S1.

IMPRESSION:
1. MRI findings are suggestive of disc degeneration and mild to moderate spinal stenosis as describes at L4-5.
2. Central and right para central disc protrusion with centero lateral canal stenosis and right S1 nerve root compression at L5 S1

The doctor who gave me this report recommends surgery which has 5% chance, while another doctor says it's just a swelling which will go away with weight reduction and time.

Please, I finding for the right advice.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:43 pm

User avatar There is no doubt that weight reduction can help your condition but it is impossible to say if it will solve the problem completely. There are no guarantees for this - surgical or otherwise.

Some people benefit from physical therapy and/or injections, both minimally invasive, in cases such as yours. Your doctor would be the one to advise here. It doesn't hurt to seek a second opinion, especially where surgery is involved. It also doesn't hurt to try the other treatments before opting for surgery.

Medicine is part science and part art. Each doctor you see may have a slightly different view on your treatment. Ultimately you will have to decide what sounds right for you.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here