News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Fear of back pain

vipul - Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 am

Age - 32
Sex - Male- Married
I am 32 year male having 69 kg weight.before I rarely do exercise may be twice in a week.and walk regularly for long time.Now i want to do push ups(around 100) daily.I am doing it for past one week.I am having slight pain sort of thing above butttocks.I am fearing it will develop as back pain.
So i want to know is its safe to do push ups.Is there is any age limit for doing excersise.And what all things i have to take care.do i have to warm up before doing push ups .It will be great if u can answer my quieres.Thanks in advance

vipul[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:03 pm

User avatar Hi Vipul,

Exercise is important at any age. There is no upper limit. There are some keys to staying safe during exercise, however.

Warming up is very important, particularly as people get older. Start out any exercise routine by stretching the muscles involved well. Since you are having some pain in the lower back area it may help to really stretch the lower back before exercising. This can be done by standing and bending to touch your toes then bending down sideways on both sides and finally bending back (carefully). Each stretch should be held for 15 to 20 seconds. Stretch to feel the pull of the muscles but not pain.

When starting an exercise program start slowly and build up. As an example, a runner should not start their exercise after not exercising with a five mile run. Instead, start at a 1/2 mile run and slowly work up as the body becomes more conditioned.

Exercise is very valuable and has countless health benefits. I applaud you in your efforts to stay fit.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here