Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Hand Surgery

chrysler5 - Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:27 pm

05/07,I had surgery on my left hand for carpal tunnel release an anchovy procedure for my left thumb. After the nerve block wore off, .The tip of my middle finger is very sensitive to touch and feels swollen but isn't. Left hand is cool an sweaty or much warmer an sweaty as compared to the right. Also the pad is swollen near the thumb. What is going on with my hand. I was put to sleep before they gave me the nerve block. Can you explain what is going on? Please help
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:26 pm

User avatar Hi Chrysler5,

Often, after nerve compression is released the nerve can still cause some symptoms until it fully recovers. The tingling may be due to this.

It may also be due to some swelling in the wrist related to the surgery.

I would expect this to continue to get better. If it does not get better over the next few days I would recommend you contact your doctor.

chrysler5 - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:51 pm

[quote="Dr. Chan Lowe"]Hi Chrysler5,

Best wishes.[/quote] It has been 4 months since the surgery. It is not a tingling feeling, the sensation is like a water blister at the tip of my finger, there is nothing there. My left hand is awful sweaty
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:45 pm

User avatar Hi again,

I would have expected that by 4 months any of the effects from surgery would have worn off.

It may be that there is some persisting compression of the nerve. Seeing a neurologist for some nerve conduction studies can help evaluate for this.

dirtnap - Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:41 am

i cutt my ulnar and median nerves and all of my tendons one night, i was rushed to the hospital and surgery the next morning. can i expect a good recovery? i am in hand therapy and got a splint to prevent clawing. its been two months since the injury.
 Dr. A. Saif - Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 pm

User avatar Dear Dirtnap,

Recovery after nerve and tendon injury is variable, but best after early repair of a clean laceration. Recovery may be incomplete, but tendons recover within 6 to 12 weeks, and nerves can take upto year to achieve maximum recovery. Sounds like you have good prospects...good luck

Saif
 Paulie - Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 am

I dislocated the middle joint on my index finger and after 6 months of physio and a variety of splints, I have been told I will need surgery as the finger is still pretty bent, approx 45 degrees. I have been told it is because of the tendons being damaged but I am unaware as to what will be involved in the surgery and what the recovery will be. Can you provide any information as to what the surgery will involve?

thanks

|