News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Cervical spondylolisthesis

nancy08 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:59 am

I have been seeing my doctor and physical therapist for neckpain, burning and tingling in my shoulder blade/posterior shoulder area for about 4 months now with some improvement but the burning and tingling persist. I don't have any arm or hand pain or paresthesias and I have not had any type of injury/no accident.

I was referred to a Neurologist and had x-rays and an MRI which showed degenerative changes at multiple levels (C3-C7) including multiple ruptured and bulging discs, posterior and anterior osteophytes, foraminal narrowing and a mild C6-5 spondylolisthesis (he said it was less than 1/4 of the vertebral body and not anything to worry about). He also said the nerve roots and spinal cord were not endangered at this time and recommended an epidural injection (steroid) if the PT doesn't seem to help.

I have read that cervical spondylolisthesis is rare. Just how unstable is it (how likely is it that it will slip forward causing nerve root or spinal cord problems) and would the epidural block symptoms that might otherwise be telling me that it is slipping?

My doctors seem more concerned about all the degenerative changes in my spine. I am 47 years old.

Thanks,
Nancy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:37 pm

User avatar Hi Nancy,

Unfortunately, I am not particularly familiar with spondlolisthesis of the cervical spine. You may want to consider seeing a neurosurgeon for their advice. Neurosurgeons probably deal with this issue the most and can give you some good advice.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here