Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Cervical spondylolisthesis

nancy08 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:59 am

I have been seeing my doctor and physical therapist for neckpain, burning and tingling in my shoulder blade/posterior shoulder area for about 4 months now with some improvement but the burning and tingling persist. I don't have any arm or hand pain or paresthesias and I have not had any type of injury/no accident.

I was referred to a Neurologist and had x-rays and an MRI which showed degenerative changes at multiple levels (C3-C7) including multiple ruptured and bulging discs, posterior and anterior osteophytes, foraminal narrowing and a mild C6-5 spondylolisthesis (he said it was less than 1/4 of the vertebral body and not anything to worry about). He also said the nerve roots and spinal cord were not endangered at this time and recommended an epidural injection (steroid) if the PT doesn't seem to help.

I have read that cervical spondylolisthesis is rare. Just how unstable is it (how likely is it that it will slip forward causing nerve root or spinal cord problems) and would the epidural block symptoms that might otherwise be telling me that it is slipping?

My doctors seem more concerned about all the degenerative changes in my spine. I am 47 years old.

Thanks,
Nancy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:37 pm

User avatar Hi Nancy,

Unfortunately, I am not particularly familiar with spondlolisthesis of the cervical spine. You may want to consider seeing a neurosurgeon for their advice. Neurosurgeons probably deal with this issue the most and can give you some good advice.

|