Question: My Broken ANkle

Ankleboy66 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Hello I am a 20 year old male. On Aug 23 I fell down some stairs and my left ankle got twisted inwards. I literally had to twist it back into place. My fibula ended up being broken in two places and my tibia had a chip off it, this resulted in an ORIF with a plate and 9 screws. The OS put me in an aircast and I have been testing my ROM. I think a ligament maybe severly damaged because my dorsiflexion is terrible. its been three weeks since I have been in the walking cast and testing my dorsiflexion every day. It is still terrible and seems to not make any progress. I remeber bruising directly above the top of my ankle when i broke it and think this may have been a completely torn ligament. Is it possible the ligament will not heal? could it be completely torn off and the OS did no notice. its been about a month and a half and nothing has been done is it too late to fix this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar Hi Ankleboy66,

It is possible that a tendon or ligament was damaged in the accident. Plain x-rays, most commonly used for diagnosis of broken bones, do not show the tendons so damage may be missed.

During the ORIF it is likely that your surgeon was not working in the proper area to see such an injury.

I would recommend you talk with your orthopedic surgeon about your difficulty in dorsiflexion. You may need an MRI to get a better idea of how things are going there. If there is a torn ligament it may still be able to be repaired.

|