Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain. Laying flat makes it worse.

ugh - Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm a 39-year-old male with no known health issues.

I have experienced lower back pain for quite some time, but for some reason, the very things that help others with their lower back pain actually make mine worse.

Things that hurt:

Laying flat on my back
Sitting in a chair with my back supported
Anything that puts pressure on it

Things that help:

Laying on my side
Standing
Anything that doesn't put pressure on it

Exercise does seem to help somewhat. Once I started stair-stepping, I started experiencing less back pain, but it never went away.

However, my problem has only become exacerbated since I broke my toe 4 months ago. Ever since then, I spend every waking hour sitting in a chair with my foot elevated, and have obviously had to stop working out. If it helps to know the details about my toe, I posted a thread in the appropriate forum for broken bones.

Any suggestions you can give me about possible causes and treatments you can give me is greatly appreciated.[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:25 pm

User avatar Hi Ugh,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. It sounds like you may have some compression of one of the nerves of your back in such a way that lying flat or sitting puts extra pressure on it.

I would recommend that you see an orthopedic specialist about your back pain. You may need some imaging studies to help determine what is going on, such as an MRI.

Often, physical therapy will help problems such as this, which is likely why working out seems to help.

ugh - Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:38 am

Thank you, Dr. Lowe. Better late than never, and hopefully this information will help others who drop by in the future. :)

|