Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back Pain in my lower left side

Moltar - Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm a 32 year old male with no previous diagnosis or surgeries on my back. My dad has sciataca (hope I spelled that right) issues and I am currently on 600 MG Ibuprofen and 800 MG Skelaxin for my lower back pain, which is only present on my left side, with slight pain that radiates from time to time into my rump. No pain on the right side at all. What I have is a dull ache that is always there, no matter what I do. The Skelaxin doesn't seem to be working, and chiropractic visits have been a temporary fix for years. I want to treat the cause not the symptom of whatever this is.

My doctor ordered an X-Ray, but I have a 500 dollar deductible to meet before it will be covered, and I'm nowhere near that 500 dollar mark.

I know that there is only so much info you can give me about this online, but both my chiropractor and I believe it to be my SI joint. I'm in constant pain and want to ask for some pain meds, but, because I'm on Zoloft for depression, I'm afraid my doctor will think I'm just after pills, which I'm not. I just don't want to hurt anymore.

Any suggestions?

Paul
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:44 pm

User avatar Hi Moltar,

A problem with the SI joint can certainly cause back pain. There are several other problems that can do this as well.

Unfortunately, it is very likely to take some more testing to be able to figure out for sure what is going on. Your doctor can give you a full examination that may be able to help pinpoint which tests will be more helpful.

Moltar - Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:Hi Moltar,

Thanks, doctor, for responding.

I have a chiropractic appointment Monday afternoon, and my doctor there has told me he can do the X-Rays for me at a lower cost (He treats me well). My question is, and I don't mean to slight ANYONE here, but how likely is it that my general practicioner will go with the results found by my chiropractor?

I ask this only because I know some medical doctors don't believe in chiropractic medicine (I, however, am a firm believer!). No disrespect is intended at all here. I just want an idea as to how a general practicioner might treat these results before I plunk down my money.

Thanks again,

Paul
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:10 am

User avatar Hi Paul,

You may be able to get copies of your x-rays for your doctor to look at. As long as the x-rays are good it shouldn't matter who does the x-ray.

Moltar - Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:03 pm

Thanks for the advice doctor. I went and had those X-Rays done and they showed some slight degeneration where my back is hurting. My doctor prescribed me 800 MG of Skelaxin and 600 MG of Ibuprofen but it does nothing to help. Doesn't even touch the dull ache that's always there..

I had some vicodins (like two of them) left over from a root canal I had done six months or so ago and they seemed to help, but I'm afraid my doctor will think I'm just after painkillers. I'm not, but vicodin is the only thing that seemed to help.

What's the best way to ask my doctor for vicodin? Dumb, loaded question I know, but I'm so tired of hurting.

Any help is appreciated.

|