Question: Broken foot - Emergency Room Question

qwertygirl - Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 am

First let me thank you for this forum's existence and thank you to all the generous professionals who help others here. I am a developer and Sysadmin to forums for many and they are so beneficial, informative, and a godsend for many people.

I have a simple question regarding my Emergency Room visit for a broken foot earlier this month.

I am a 40 yo single mom with one still at home (14 yo son). At 4:30 pm on my porch, my heel slipped out of my sandal and I heard the foot break. At that same moment I fell over (I think more out of shock than anything) onto my left knee on the concrete. Knowing the foot was definitely broke (5th Metatarsal between a Jones and Avulsion fracture) we went to the Emergency Room.

Prior to X-rays I was asked several times how I did it by the nurses, doctors and techs. After the results of the X-ray I was asked again by those who assisted me.

My question I suppose is more out of curiousity - is there a specific reason that they ask so many times? Were they asking to ensure I wasn't harmed by another person or if it was self-inflicted? I think the PA was a little surprised I had told her right where the break was. Could they have wanted to be sure how it happened based on the break itself?

I know it seems silly to ask this question, but I had never been asked so many times and thought it was odd. Is it SOP? I know they couldn't suspect my 14yo of harming me, he's just a little mouse. :)

Thank you in advance!!!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:27 pm

User avatar Hi Qwertygirl,

I suspect they were most likely asking just out of curiosity to see how the injury occurred. Along with that comes the fact that if there are multiple reasons given abuse becomes a factor.

However, I doubt they were thinking of abuse. This injury would be an odd abuse injury. I suspect it was more of the "Wow, how'd that happen" reflex that was kicking in.

|