News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Hip joint pain?

lindzyb - Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm 22 yrs old, female, been diagnosed with PCOS & Hypothyroidism, no surgeries, on Synthroid.

I have been having, for the past 4 months or so, a very sharp pain in my left hip. It only comes every once in a while, when I'm walking. I will get a sudden pain, then a feel like my hip gave out, then it will be perfectly fine. Any ideas?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:14 pm

User avatar Hi Lindzyb,

The sharp pains that you are describing are a bit suspicious for an occasional nerve impingement. This may be due to some lower back problems. If it becomes more prevalent, more severe or you simply want more information it is a good idea to see your doctor to have this evaluated.

If imaging is needed an MRI of the spine is probably the best bet.

Best wishes.
 lindzyb - Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. I had severe lower back pain for about a year, maybe a year and a half before I started dieting & lost 43lbs. The back pain is gone now, but sometimes I still get the 'catch' feeling in my hip.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here