Question: kneecap dislocation

whoafatrandy - Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi, I am a 22 year old male with a knee issue. I was with some friends the other day singing karaoke in their house. I admit that i was rocking out too hard and it all ended with me on the floor with my left kneecap dislocated. The ambulance came and they popped it back in place. I refused to go to the hospital because i felt as if i could walk fine, but i woke up in the morning an it was, of course, swollen and painful. I got an ace bandage and a knee brace on and am walking with a cane for now. I saw a doctor and the only thing he recommended was an MRI. I have health insurance, but i would be paying for the MRI totally out of pocket if i had it done. I called a sports injury specialist and he said that an MRI was a bit of an overkill and made an appointment with him.

My question is: it has popped out once since the last time, and now it is a little more painful. My knee is still swollen, but this morning i woke up to find that my ankle is also swollen and there is a purple/yellow streak across the back and side of my leg about 3 or 4 inches above the knee. What would cause the ankle swelling and what is the deal with the discoloration?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:27 pm

User avatar Hi Whoafatrandy,

I would agree that doing an MRI immediately may not be necessary. Swelling of the knee following patellar dislocation is expected. It can be thought of as similar to a sprained knee in terms of healing time and pain/swelling. If the kneecap repeatedly is dislocating and MRI may be helpful to see if there are underlying causes. Seeing the sports medicine doctor is an excellent idea.

It sounds as if your ankle has also been sprained. The coloring sounds like a bruise that is beginning to resolve. If you have not had trauma to the area I would recommend you have it evaluated.

|