Question: ankle pain 5 months after inital injury :(

tcpuccio1 - Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:43 am

Hello first off nice Forum.

Male 38 excellent health 5' 8" 135# non-smoker

long story short "sort of" in mid June of this year triped down the stairs and bent foot awkwardly up onto the inside of my shin. walked on it for 2 weeks before seeing DR. X-rays were negative big surprise. 2 weeks later returne to Dr. sent for MRI revealed sever bone bruising to Cubid and Talus was advised no tissue damge evenden. was given the option of cam boot "but not weght bearing" or cast . I choose the cast option My job I'm on my feet 10 hours a day on concrete and wanted it to heal properly. I was to be casted for 4 weeks. 3 weeks in cast had loosened up and ahd pain again in the ankle area with leg movemnet inside the cast. I went back and was given a cam still no weight bearing for 4 more weeks. after 1 week in the cam went back pain worse than in a loose cast was pressing right on the "hot spot" was put back into a non weight bearing cast for another 4 week a total of 8 weeks. Dr. didn't prescribe PT said I didn't need it for this type of injury. After walking around like peg leg for a week and it not lossening up I contacted my MD and he sent me for PT 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks helped the second week it trailed off. I have been back to work now for a month and a half and I still have a great deal of ankle pain at times. It is just below and in front of the knob that sticks out on the inside of the leg. I can walk okay and side to side movemnet is okay but twisting of the foot expecially towards the outside that "hot spot" is painful also if the spot is pressed apon by boots or tight sneakers it's sensitive as well. Also being out in the cold affects it as well when going back indoors the joint tightens up and is quite painfull. From time to time it has a burning sensation and most of the time there is a slight sensation of pressure at that spot. I have no swelling in the joint now when this first happend I had all kinds of it. I'm sure this is all leading to some sort of ligament damage/issue. What is the treatment for this type of injury and subsequent healing time? The first time I was off from work 11 weeks when this first happened. I'm not looing forward to having to be off agin if this doesn't settle down. Thank you so much for reading my rambeling
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:30 pm

User avatar Hi Tcpuccio1,

There are a few possibilities as to the cause of your pain. First, it may be that you have some cartilage damage so the bone is rubbing against bone. This can be quite painful.

There is also a syndrome, which I am suspicious you may have, called reflex sympathetic dystrophy. Basically, with this syndrome, after an injury to a muscle, etc., when the area is casted or imobilized for an extended period of time (necessary for healing) the nerves become hypersensitive so that any movement causes severe pain. The treatment for this is actually to stretch and move the joint-basically more physical therapy-to help retrain the nerves.

I would recommend that you follow up with your orthopedic specialist to evaluate this pain and see if further treatment is needed.

tcpuccio1 - Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks Dr. Lowe.

Since I last posted that The pain has been and I can handle it I was walking on this for a month before an MRI found the problem. The pain sensation to that area has let up quite a bit. But I do notice if the joint is torqued or flexed towads it's limit tor walk flat footed with out anything on he pain can be much more. I had to chase Down my son 2 weeks ago and it tweeked the joint gain an it has take almost 2 weeks for it to settle down. I do not have any swelling but if you compair the troublesome ankle to the good one it looks different right where the injury is/was. One last thing If I'm out in the cold for an extended amount of time it feels okay untill i go back indoors and then it tightenes up almost instantly for a while then it starts to settle down again. Is that a sight of tissue damage or just the bone injury feeling the cold? It's wierd and thankfully I'm not out in the cold that much or long. I am considering seeing a different OS about this. Thanks again for you time
 inquisitive1 - Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:00 am

I am not sure if I should be posting but getting nowhere trying to ask. I had a similar fall tripped over a cord and landed on my toes and top of my foot. I thought it was a strain so applied ice and elevated and could still walk on it, but went on a trip and could not put any weight, so ended up renting a scooter and the entire foot was black and blue and swollen. I never went to a Doctor out of stupidity and fear I suppose and taped the toes wrapped the foot with a bandage--everything I thought was right. Now, 5 months later, the entire foot is painful and I walk with a cane and people say go to the Doctor, but I think it is too late and very ignorant of me to not overcome my fear initially & should have went to the Doctor. Anyways, just want to tell people to go the the Doctor immediately because you do not wan to end up like me. A fear of walking with a cane for the rest of your life when easily treated should be your main concern. From reading this post, I think I may recover, but if you are reading and it just happened go to the doctor and get proper care even if you think it is a strain. Best of luck and my apology if I am posting on the wrong forum.

|