Question: Possible shin injury.

Dazmanj - Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:48 am

Hi, I was playing football yesterday and my shin connected with the top of another players foot. It became swollen quiet quickly and since then there's quiet a level of discolouration on one side of my leg up to just below my knee with minimal discolouration on the other side. It is still swollen all the way around and actually feels like if you were to prick it with a pin it would pop like a balloon. (Sorry, best description I can think of) It is very uncomfortable but the leg can support my full weight without extra discomfort. I just wanted to know if its likely that I may have done bone damage or hopefully its just something that'll sort itself out with lots of ice over a few days. Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:06 pm

User avatar Hi Dazmanj,

Most likely you simply have a very severe bruise but I cannot be sure that there is not an underlying fracture of the bone. This mechanism of injury can produce enough force to break a bone.

I would suggest that you have this evaluated and possibly have x-rays done to see if there is a fracture present.

|