News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken toe...ouch

timothyj67 - Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:47 am

I dropped a 25lb weight on my toe..
As you can see it messed it up..
this happened 2.5 weeks ago...I didnt see a doctor I treated myself..Now the toe has limited flexibility, I I bend it too far it still is very painful..

The nail went partly black and I lost half of it..There is still some dead tissue in the nail area..
My question is..How long wil this take to heal and will the nail have problems growing back?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 am

User avatar Hi Timothyj67,

Based on the mechanism of injury, you may have fractured the bone. Often, there isn't a lot of treatment for this; however, with some situations there may be more needed than just buddy taping the toe.

I'd suggest you have your doctor to have this further evaluated. It is very possible you'll lose the entire nail. As long as the nail bed hasn't been damaged it should grow back fine.

Best wishes.
 timothyj67 - Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:30 am

I did remove almost half the toenail..Some of it is still on that is healthy..Some off from the injury..As for the nail bed..how do I tell if it has been injured..?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:39 pm

User avatar Most of the time it is a matter of waiting to see if the nail grows back normally. If it does the nail bed did not get damaged.

Other than time I am not aware of a way to tell if it is ok.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here