Question: Broken toe...ouch

timothyj67 - Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:47 am

I dropped a 25lb weight on my toe..
As you can see it messed it up..
Image
this happened 2.5 weeks ago...I didnt see a doctor I treated myself..Now the toe has limited flexibility, I I bend it too far it still is very painful..

The nail went partly black and I lost half of it..There is still some dead tissue in the nail area..
Image
My question is..How long wil this take to heal and will the nail have problems growing back?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 am

User avatar Hi Timothyj67,

Based on the mechanism of injury, you may have fractured the bone. Often, there isn't a lot of treatment for this; however, with some situations there may be more needed than just buddy taping the toe.

I'd suggest you have your doctor to have this further evaluated. It is very possible you'll lose the entire nail. As long as the nail bed hasn't been damaged it should grow back fine.

timothyj67 - Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:30 am

I did remove almost half the toenail..Some of it is still on that is healthy..Some off from the injury..As for the nail bed..how do I tell if it has been injured..?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:39 pm

User avatar Most of the time it is a matter of waiting to see if the nail grows back normally. If it does the nail bed did not get damaged.

Other than time I am not aware of a way to tell if it is ok.

|